May 20, 2020
5 Tips for Cleaning and Maintaining Your New Windows
Renewal by Andersen windows are engineered to be durable and long-lasting, but proper cleaning and maintenance will extend their life, beauty and functionality even longer. Keep your windows in perfect condition by following our helpful tips.
- Use a mild cleaning solution. We recommend a mild mixture of soap and water to clean frames, sashes and grilles as well as glass. Using abrasive cleaners can lead to permanent damage to the glass coating and Fibrex® material.
- Avoid washing windows on hot, sunny days. Clean your windows when the weather is around 40 to 85 degrees if you want to avoid streaky windows. If it’s too hot or sunny outside, the cleaner will dry quickly, resulting in streaks. We also recommend against using a pressure washer to clean your windows as it can be damaging to the glass.
- Apply lubricant annually. For casement, double-hung, gliding and awning windows as well as patio doors, we recommend applying a dry lubricant once a year to all locks, hinges and rollers for easy operation.
- Do not use newspaper or ink-based papers to clean your windows. This can result in permanently discoloring the surrounding Fibrex® material. Instead, we recommend using soft, nonabrasive rags or cloths.
- Clean insect screens at least once a year. The longer you wait to clean your screens, the harder it will be to remove the dirt and grime. Our insect screens are simple to detach and can be easily cleaned with a soft, damp cloth.
Want more information? View our helpful care and maintenance guides.